12/07/2006

Kenya: Getting Started


My parents have arrived safe and sound in Kenya and sent the following email:

Dear Family,
Sorry for the delay in replying. We have not yet gotten our computer
connected to the phone line. The line had been disconnected and we are
having a problem getting it connected again. We are using a friend's
computer now. We will get back to you again as soon as we are connected.
All is going well and we are meeting some very interesting people and
seeing much that is strange.
Talk to you later.
Love, Mom and Dad

Sounds like a typical mission so far.

I also got this picture from the mission president (who happens to be quite familiar with LDS blogs). In the picture we have:

From left to right, President Gabriel Kandawala (Sikhendu Branch), Elder Nielson, Edward Ndung'u (son of Kitale Branch president), and President Martin Ndung'u. President Ndung'u had just presented your father with the hat he's wearing, to protect him from the sun.

My dad seems quite happy, which makes sense. He likes hats.

3 Comments:

At 12/08/2006, Blogger Naiah said...

I love that they gave him a hat. Clearly some sweet, white elder somewhere along the way got a nasty sunburn or two. That is so kind of them--such a little thing, but to give him the hat instead of just telling him that he'll need one...

I can't wait to serve a mission when Rob and I get older!

 
At 12/08/2006, Blogger Eric Nielson said...

Yes, it was a nice thing. I would not be surprised if he comes home with the hat and keeps it forever.

I hope you get a chance to go.

 
At 12/10/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now there's "small and simple". Being content because of a hat! :)

Reminds me of people I served in Honduras who were content with such simplicity in their life, and so few possessions. I think we would all do well to become more like them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

link to MA